Asparagus, peas, and pea-shoots with shaved red radish, marinated feta, and lemon herb vinaigrette.
This salad is all about fresh spring vegetables, tender garden herbs, bright citrus, and the salty richness of the feta.
I begin this salad by marinating the feta. The directions say to marinate it at least 30 minutes before, but a day or two in advance is even better. It will give the flavors time to penetrate the cheese.
Next, I blanch the veggies. In a large stockpot, mix 6 quarts of water with enough salt that the water tastes like the sea. Bring the water to a rapid boil. While waiting on the water to boil, trim the white, woody ends from the asparagus and prepare a large bowl of ice water. Drop the asparagus into the water and cook for 2-5 minutes. The asparagus should be al dente and bright green. Pull the asparagus from the boiling water and plunge it into the ice bath. Remove it from the ice as soon as it has cooled and drain it on a rack or clean towel.
Bring the pot of water back to a boil and repeat this process with the peas. The peas will only need to cook for 1-2 minutes and should still have a bright green color. If you cannot find fresh peas, thaw frozen peas 15-30 minutes before serving the salad.
Once the veggies are done, I begin prepping the vinaigrette and the garnishes. I cut thin strips of zest from the lemon before juicing. Then, I pick and chop the herbs, picking extra for garnish. I place all of the dressing ingredients in a jar and shake to combine. The vinaigrette does not get emulsified, so it will need to be mixed before serving. With the dressing done, all that is left to do is shave the radish, toss the salad, and enjoy!
Asparagus Pea Salad
- 1 cup feta cheese
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest microplaned or chopped fine
- 1 pinch chili flake
- 1/8 tsp pepper
Lemon Herb Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup lemon juice 1 large lemon
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp dill chopped plus more for garnish
- 1 tsp mint chopped plus more for garnish
- 2 tsp chives chopped plus more for garnish
- 2 tsp flat leaf parsley chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 4 tsp honey
- 2 pounds asparagus blanched and cut on a bias
- 1 cup peas fresh or frozen
- 2 cups pea shoots
- 1 each radish shaved thin
- picked herbs for garnish
- lemon zest strips as needed for garnish
- Break apart the feta into bite-size pieces and mix with other ingredients. Chill and marinate for at least 30 minutes.
Lemon Herb Vinaigrette
- Combine all the ingredients in a jar with a tight fitting lid. Shake until well combined. Refrigerate until ready to use. Shake to combine before adding to the salad.
- Toss the pea shoots, asparagus, and peas together. Arrange on a plate or platter. Top with the feta and radish slices. Garnish with picked herbs and lemon zest. Drizzle with vinaigrette right before serving.