Homemade duck prosciutto, goat cheese, arugula, cantaloupe, cucumber, and candied mac-nuts, with blackberry vinaigrette.
This salad boasts a variety of palate popping flavors with its sweet cantaloupe, peppery arugula, refreshing mint and cucumber, salty duck ham, sweet-tart blackberries, and crunchy mac-nuts.
The cantaloupe and cucumber for this salad are cut into ribbons using a mandolin slicer. Meaning that they are shaved into long thin strips. This can also be done with a knife or skipped altogether, cutting the fruit into chunks.
I muddled the blackberries with honey when making the vinaigrette. Muddling the fruit isn’t necessary for the flavor. It’s just a way to break down the fruit and release the juice. Alternatively, the ingredients can be emulsified in a blender or with a hand blender to cut out this step.
I used my easy-to-make duck prosciutto for this salad. You can also purchase it from your local butcher or on amazon. It is a pretty pricey item, so replacing the duck with regular prosciutto is another good substitution.
Duck Prosciutto and Cantaloupe Salad
- 6 blackberries 1/4 cup
- 1/2 tsp mint chopped
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup macadamia nuts chopped
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup cantaloupe ribbons about 1/8 melon
- 1 cup cucumber ribbons about 1/2 each
- 3 cup arugula
- 14 mint leaves
- 12 blackberries cut in half
- 2-3 tbsp goat cheese
- 16 slices duck prosciutto
- In a small jar muddle the blackberries with salt and honey. Add all the other ingredients and shake until emulsified. Refrigerate until ready to use. Shake the jar again before serving.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. On a small sheet pan lined with parchment, combine all the ingredients. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Cool completely and break apart. Store in an airtight container until ready to use.
- Cut the cantaloupe and cucumber into ribbons using a mandolin slicer. In a bowl combine the ribbons with the arugula and mint leaves. Mix in the dressing and divide between two plates. Top each salad with goat cheese, duck prosciutto, blackberries, and mac-nuts. Serve immediately.