Soft flatbreads stuffed with spicy seared lamb, salty feta cheese, crisp veggies, and creamy cucumber yogurt.
This is another one of those recipes spawned from a craving. Sometimes you just have to give your taste buds what they want, and this pita definitely hits the spot.
To satisfy my hankering, I first had to create the base for the entire dish, the flatbread. The bread came out soft and flavorful, perfect for wraps. Check out my previous post for the recipe. Making flatbreads from scratch takes time, and cravings don’t always wait to be satisfied. So substitute your favorite pita, flatbread, or naan.
With stage one complete, it was time to move on to the fillings. I used lamb leg that I trimmed of sinew and excess fat, cut into cubes, marinated, and seared. The marinade combines herbs and spices to give the lamb a spicy-smoky flavor. It will need to sit at least one hour for the flavors to penetrate the meat and can be prepared up to a day in advance.
This recipe is all about craving, so I went with traditional garnishes. I made a simple yogurt sauce with minced cucumbers and chopped mint. I chopped up some fresh cucumbers, tomato, and red onion. Then, put everything together with some feta, a glug of olive oil, and a squeeze of lemon. A delicious pita to satisfy any appetite!
Spicy Lamb Pita
- 1 1/2 pounds lamb leg trimmed and cut into cubes
- 3 tsp oregano chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp thyme chopped
- 3/4 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3 tsp garlic minced
- 3/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp coriander ground
- 1/2 tsp chili flake
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil plus more for cooking
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup cucumber peeled and minced
- 1 tsp mint chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 8 pita, flatbread, or naan
- 1/4 red onion shaved
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 cucumber chopped
- 1 lemon sliced into wedges
- 4-6 spigs mint
- 4 cups greens
- 8 ounces feta cheese
- olive oil as needed for drizzling
- Mix all of the ingredients together and refrigerate. Marinate at least one hour up to 24. Heat a skillet with oil over medium high-high heat. When the oil shimmers add the lamb to the skillet. Brown on all sides and set aside.
- Combine all ingredients and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Warm the pita in the oven or skillet. Spread cucumber yogurt on one side. Top with greens, lamb, cucumber, tomato, red onion, feta, and mint. Drizzle with olive oil and serve with lemon wedges.