Whipped feta is salty, creamy, and delicious. It is very versatile and can be used anywhere you add cheese, pasta, salads, dips, or just on a spoon!
The first time I experienced whipped feta was many years ago. I was working at a Mediterranean restaurant and we started making it as a dip for our Meze platter. It has gained popularity since then and the variety of ways it is used is almost endless.
This recipe has a classic flavor that all starts with good feta cheese. I buy cheese packed in whey. The whey not only keeps the cheese fresh but keeps it from drying out. You definitely don’t want dry cheese when making whipped feta. Dry cheese means you will have to add extra moisture to get it smooth and creamy.
When I whip feta, I add olive oil and whey to the cheese. Both of these ingredients do two things. They add fluidity to cheese, so it will be creamy right out of the refrigerator, and they add flavor. The whey, once being part of the cheese, adds natural flavor, and the olive oil accents that flavor.
Once the feta is whipped, then it’s all about the toppings. The balsamic and honey add a sweetness that balances the saltiness of the cheese. The tomato, arugula, basil, and lemon add freshness. The toasted almonds add a little smokiness and crunch. And, the Rosemary Garlic Focaccia crostini provides a rich sturdy base. The toppings in this recipe can be used interchangeably between the dip and the crostini. They can also be changed or omitted depending on your taste.
Whipped Feta Crostini and Dip
- 1 lb Feta in whey
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic minced
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/8 cup whey from feta
Crostini and Dip garnish
- 2-3 roma tomatoes sliced
- 1/2 tsp balsamic
- 1 tsp lemon zest plus more for garnish
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp basil chiffonade
- almonds toasted and chopped
- arugula chiffonade
- focaccia sliced
- olive oil
Whipped Feta Dip
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Brush the focaccia slices with olive oil and toast in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes. Mix tomato with balsamic, olive oil, basil, and lemon zest and season with salt and pepper. Spread 1 tbsp of feta on each crostini. Add some arugula. Top with tomatoes and a little bit of juice. Add toasted almonds, lemon zest and drizzle with honey.
- Place dip in a serving bowl. Top with a little toasted almonds, lemon zest, basil, drizzle with balsamic and honey. Serve with crostini and/or fresh veggies.