Soft fluffy flatbreads.
When I started creating this recipe, I intended to make pita bread. During the research and testing phase, I realize what I really wanted was a cross between pita and naan. I wanted bread with a soft texture for wraps, a tender bite, and a good flavor. This “flatbread” recipe hit the spot!
The dough for these flatbreads is easy to put together, with only two steps. Then, the dough rests for an hour. The rest period is less about proofing the dough and more about letting the gluten relax. Don’t worry if your dough has not doubled in size before rolling.
The rolling process is where it gets tricky. The dough is tacky, very springy, and does not want to form a perfect circle. You may want to dust the dough with flour to keep it from sticking. I used the tackiness to my advantage by letting it stick to the counter to keep the dough from snapping back. It takes a bit of time to shape the 7-inch rounds. After you get two made, start cooking them while working on the next two.
The thickness/thinness of the dough makes a difference in the final product. The thicker the dough, the softer the bread. The thinner the dough, the puffier and crisper it will be. The cooking time can, also, be lessened if you want really soft breads or plan on reheating them for later use. The dough will bubble during cooking, but the majority of the rounds will not balloon like the picture above.
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 1/2 cup water warm 108 grams
- 1/2 cup 2 tbsp milk warm 154 grams
- 3 cups bread flour 445 grams
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Mix water, milk and yeast. In a mixer with a dough hook add all the ingredients. Mix on low until the dough comes together. Continue mixing for 5-8 minutes. Put the dough in a greased bowl and proof for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees. Divide the dough into 8 pieces or weigh out 8 3.2-3.5 ounce portions. Roll each portion into a 7-8 inch circle. Place 2 rounds at a time on a sheet pan and bake for 5-7 minutes. Remove from oven and wrap in a clean towel. Cool for 5 minutes and serve.