Shiitake and black garlic filled steamed buns with crispy fried shallots.
Tender steamed buns filled with a rich black garlic mushroom filling and garnished with crunchy shallots.
Making steamed buns may seem like a laborious task, but they are surprisingly easy. The mixer does most of the work with the dough. While the dough is having its first proof, make the filling and shallots. Then, weigh out the dough, press it into rounds, and place the filling in the center. Now comes the hardest part, sealing the buns. Gather the edges of the dough around the filling and press together until sealed. The edges should stick together easily. Once sealed, turn the buns over and reshape if necessary. Place them seal side down and proof again.
Steamed buns are traditionally cooked in bamboo baskets. I use a large pasta pot with a steamer basket and lid. Put about 1 inch of water in a pot and bring it to a boil. Spray the basket with cooking spray and place the buns inside about 1 1/2 inches apart. Place the basket inside the pot, cover, and cook for 8-10 minutes. Remove them from the steamer, give them a little garnish, and they are ready to eat. Simple and tasty!
Mushroom Steamed Buns
- 2 1/8 cups bread flour 337 grams
- 1 1/2 tbsp milk powder 10 grams
- 1/2 tbsp salt 10 grams
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp instant yeast
- 3 tbsp butter soft
- 3/4 cup water warm 170 grams
- 12 ounces shiitake mushrooms small dice
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp ginger minced
- 2 tsp black garlic more for garnish
- 1 tsp oyster sauce
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp sesame oil
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp brown sugar
- 1 shallot shaved
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- oil as needed for frying
- salt to taste
- In a stand mixer with a dough hook combine all the ingredients. Mix on low until all of the flour has been incorporated then turn the speed to medium. Mix for 5-8 minutes. Place the dough in an oiled bowl and cover. Proof for 1-1 1/2 hours.
- Portion the dough into 13, 1.5-1.7 ounce balls. Flatten the balls and place 2 tsp of filling in the center. Gather the dough around the filling and press together to seal. Place the buns seal side down on oiled parchment. Cover and proof 30 minutes.
- Heat a steamer pot to boiling. Add the buns and cook for 8-10 minutes. Garnish with fried shallots and sliced black garlic. Serve immediately.
- Smash the black garlic and mix it with oyster sauce, soy sauce, sugar, pepper, and sesame oil. Heat a large skillet with oil over medium-high heat. When the oil shimmers add the ginger and cook for 1 minute. Add the mushrooms and cook until tender. Add the black garlic mixture and cook until the mushrooms are almost dry. Cool before filling the buns.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat to 350 degrees. Mix the shallots with the cornstarch. Shake off any excess cornstarch and fry the shallots until they start to turn brown. Remove immediately and drain on paper towels. Season with salt. Set aside until needed.