Fresh strawberries and kumquats with crisp prosciutto, cucumber ribbons, honey balsamic almonds, and strawberry vinaigrette.
It seems like strawberries are everywhere right now. What better use for these spring berries than a sweet-tart salad?
Unfortunately, kumquats are a little bit harder to come by than strawberries. When I do see them, I snatch them up. Their sweet-tart flavor adds a citrusy punch to this dish. If you cannot find kumquats in your area, substitute orange or tangerine segments.
The almonds in this recipe are toasted in a honey balsamic mixture. This mixture will burn and turn bitter if cooked too long. Watch the almonds closely stirring frequently. When the honey starts to thicken, the almonds are almost done. As soon as the caramel starts to change color, remove it from the heat and spread it on oiled parchment. Allow the almonds to cool completely before chopping.
Strawberry Kumquat Salad
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp honey
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/16 tsp pepper
- 2 strawberries 3 tbsp
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 tsp honey
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 6 cups baby spinach
- 2 tbsp basil torn more for garnish
- 8 strawberries sliced
- 3 cups cucumber ribbons 1 cucumber
- 2-3 slices prosciutto
- 2 tbsp goat cheese
- 6 kumquats sliced and deseeded
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix all of the ingredients in a small skillet. Heat over medium-high heat. Cook until the liquid has thickened and is starting to brown. Remove from the heat and spread on a greased piece of parchment. Cool completely, chop, and set aside until ready for use. Store in an airtight container.
- Place all of the ingredients in a jar. Blend with a hand blender. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lay the prosciutto on a sheet pan lined with parchment and bake for 15-20 minutes until crispy. Set aside to cool.
- In a bowl mix the spinach, cucumber, basil, strawberries, kumquats, and dressing. Season to taste. Divide the salad between two plates. Break the prosciutto into pieces and sprinkle over the salad. Garnish the salad with goat cheese, almonds, and basil.