Garden zucchini and fresh herb buttermilk biscuits, layered with crumbly goat cheese. These biscuits are a delicious addition to brunch or served alongside your favorite tomato soup.
These biscuits aren’t difficult to make, but there are a couple of things that can turn them bad. The first is having too much liquid from the zucchini in your dough. The second is overworking the dough. Both of these things can produce a biscuit that is flat and dense. How can you avoid this? Well….
Start by mixing the zucchini with salt. Place the zucchini in a colander to drain for 30 minutes. The salt helps draw the liquid out of the zucchini. The zucchini will then need to be squeezed and patted dry with paper towels.
While the zucchini is losing it’s liquid, start making the dough. Combine the flours, salt, pepper, and leaveners. Cut the butter into the flour mixture and refrigerate. I cut the butter in by hand, but use whatever method works best for you.
Once the zucchini is dry, combine it with the herbs and the flour mixture. Whisk one egg and remove 1 teaspoon for egg wash. Add the remaining egg and buttermilk to the flour mixture. Now here comes the second challenge. Combine the ingredients just until the dough comes together. Place it on a floured countertop, gently press and roll into a 1/4 inch thick square. Try not to use too much force or flour during this process. Cut the dough into three equal sections. Crumble goat cheese on 1 section and top with another section of dough. Crumble on more goat cheese and top with the last section. Gently pat and roll the dough into a 1 1/2 inch thick rectangle.
After rolling out the dough, it’s back to easy street. Cut the biscuits into 8 equal squares and place them on a lined baking sheet. Brush the biscuits with the reserved egg. Bake in a 400-degree oven for 15-20 minutes, rotating halfway through. Cool the biscuits for 10 minutes before serving with more goat cheese and your favorite tomato jam.
Zucchini Goat Cheese Biscuits
- 1 cup zucchini shredded
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup AP flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp butter cold cut into cubes
- 2 tsp basil chopped
- 2 tsp chives chopped
- 1 egg 1 tsp removed for wash
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2-3 ounces goat cheese
- Mix the zucchini with 1/4 tsp of salt. Place in a colander to drain for 30 minutes. Squeeze the zucchini to get as much of the water out as possible. Place between paper towels until ready to use.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Combine flours, salt, pepper, baking powder and soda. Cut the butter into the flour mix until no large chunks are visible.
- Mix the zucchini, and herbs into the flour mixture.
- Add the egg and the buttermilk. Mix until just combined.
- On a floured surface roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thick square. Cut the dough into 3 equal parts.
- Crumble the goat cheese on one portion of the dough. Top the goat cheese with the second strip of dough. Crumble more goat cheese on the dough and stack the last strip of dough on top. Gently roll the dough to 1 1/2 inch thickness.
- Cut the dough into 8 equal squares and place on a lined baking sheet. Brush the tops with egg wash. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes.