Shredded corned beef and pickled cabbage tucked into a rye butter crust with horseradish mustard sauce.
Salty corned beef and punchy pickled cabbage baked in a dark rye crust and served with a creamy grain-mustard dipping sauce.
The dough for this recipe is a simple pie dough made with dark rye flour and all-purpose flour. The dark rye flour adds flavor to the dough. Regular rye flour or all-purpose flour can be substituted with a small adjustment to the amount of water in the recipe. I also use Dutch-processed cocoa for color. This ingredient is optional and will not require adjusting the recipe if omitted. After mixing the dough, it gets refrigerated for a minimum of one hour or up to 24. The resting time allows the gluten to relax and the flour to fully hydrate.
Once rested, it’s time to roll and cut the dough. I placed a 6-inch plate on the rolled dough and cut around it with a paring knife. If you do not have a 6-inch plate or a cutter, you can make a paper circle to use as a guide. To do this, measure and mark a 6-inch line on a piece of paper. Turn it 90 degrees. Measure and mark another 6-inch line intersecting the first line at 3-inches. Rotate the paper 45 degrees and repeat the process. Rotate it another 90 degrees and repeat again. You will have four intersecting 6-inch lines. Connect the edges of the lines to draw a circle. Cut the circle from the paper, and it’s ready to use as a guide for the dough. After cutting the rounds, top with filling, seal the edges, bake, and devour!
Corned Beef Pasties
- 2/3 cup dark rye flour
- 1 1/3 cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dutch-processed cocoa (optional)
- 1/2 cup butter cold and cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 egg for wash
- 4 cup red cabbage shredded (1/4 head)
- 1 cup onion julienned
- 2 sprigs dill
- 1/4 tsp carraway
- 1/4 tsp mustard seed
- 1/4 tsp peppercorn
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup course ground mustard
- 1 tsp horseradish
- 1/4 tsp hot chili powder
- 1/8 cup mayo
- 2 cups corned beef shredded or chopped
- Mix all of the dry ingredients in a bowl. Cut the butter into the flour mixture. Add the cold water and knead until the dough comes together. Shape into a disc, wrap, and refrigerate for 1 to 24 hours.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator. Lightly dust the work surface with flour and roll the dough to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut 6 inch rounds from the dough using a cutter or plate. Refrigerate the rounds and repeat the process until you have 7 rounds.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Strain 2 cups of cabbage from the pickling liquid and set aside. Whisk the egg to make the wash and set aside. Line a sheet pan with parchment. Lay the rounds on a work surface. Place 1/4 cup of each cabbage and corned beef on one side of each round, leaving a 1/2 inch border. Lightly brush the border with egg wash. Fold the dough over the filling and press the edges to seal. Crimp the edges with a fork and place on the sheet pan. Brush the pies with egg wash and bake for 30-35 minutes. Cool slightly before serving with horseradish mustard.
- Mix the shredded cabbage and onion in a bowl. Add the dill to the bowl. Wrap the carraway, mustard, bay leaf, and peppercorn in cheese cloth. In a pot mix the water, vinegar, salt, sugar, and spice bundle. Bring the vinegar mixture to a boil and pour over the cabbage. Cover, cool, and refrigerate overnight. Extra cabbage will keep for weeks in an airtight container.
- Mix all of the ingredients and refrigerate until ready to use.