Olive oil fried artichokes with lemon caper vinaigrette and shaved parmesan.
The first time I saw these artichokes, I said I have to make that! Beautifully crispy artichoke leaves fried in olive oil, what a great appetizer.
The recipe for these artichokes calls for twice frying in olive oil. The oil adds flavor to the dish, but it can be pricey. So if you need to, you can swap out half of the olive oil with vegetable oil. The artichokes get fried at two different temperatures. The first fry is at a lower temperature, which cooks them. The second fry is at a higher temperature, which crisps them.
Trimming artichokes can seem intimidating, will their tough pokey leaves and choke in the middle. Start by pulling off the lower leaves until you see pale yellow at the base. Then take a knife and cut all the darker tops of the leaves off. Trim away any remaining outer leaves and the fibrous dark green around the stem. In the center, there will be smaller purple leaves covering the choke. Use a spoon and scoop out these spikey leaves and the threadlike choke.
As soon as the artichoke is cleaned, rub it inside and out with half a lemon. The acid prevents the artichoke from browning. I also rub the lemon on my hands, knife, and spoon before trimming. You can put the artichokes in lemon water if you’re not frying right away. If you do soak them, be sure to drain them very well. Water and hot oil don’t mix.
Jewish Style Artichokes (Carciofi Alla Giudia)
Lemon Caper Vinaigrette
- 1/8 cup capers rinsed and chopped
- 1/8 cup shallots minced
- 1 tsp lemon zest 1 lemon
- 1/8 cup lemon juice 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup parmesan grated
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 quart olive oil
- 6 artichokes large
- 1/2 lemon
- parmesan shaved as needed for garnish
Lemon Caper Vinaigrette
- Combine all of the ingredients and set aside until ready to use.
- Heat the oil over medium heat until it reaches 280 degrees. Trim away the tough out leaves of the artichokes. When the tender leaves are exposed, cut away the tough top part of the leaves. Rub your hands and the artichokes with the lemon. Cut or scoop out the inner purple leaves and choke. Rub the inside with lemon. Trim away the fibrous part of the stem and any rough pieces of leaves left on the bottom. Rub with lemon.
- Fry the chokes in the oil for about 15 minutes. They will be fork tender. Remove from the oil and drain. Increase the temperature of the oil to 350 degrees. Fry the artichoke again until browned and crispy. 5-10 minutes. Remove from the oil and drain. Sprinkle with salt, drizzle with vinaigrette, garnish with parmesan, and serve immediately.