Sweet rolls filled with homemade spiced apple butter and frosted with maple cream cheese icing.
These apple butter sweet rolls are a new way to get your apple a day. The rolls are not overly sweet and have a bit of tang from the cream cheese icing.
I developed this recipe to use the apple butter I had leftover when I made hot apple buttered rum. The butter was already spiced, with a thick-spreadable consistency, a perfect filling for sweet rolls.
If you are looking for an easy-morning pastry, this recipe can be made in advance. Make the icing and the rolls, following the instructions up to placing them in an 8×8 pan. Cover and put them in the fridge. In the morning, remove the rolls from the refrigerator and proof for 45 minutes. I would place them on top of the stove while the oven is preheating to speed up this process. Bake as directed and serve with the maple cream cheese frosting.
I prefer to bake sweet rolls and cinnamon rolls in a pan instead of on a baking sheet. I like to have as much of the soft tender center part as I can get! To bake them on a sheet, place the cut rolls three inches apart. If the edge starts to come undone, tuck it underneath. Because the rolls will not be baked as one, they may take less time to cook. Start checking the rolls for doneness after 20 minutes.
Apple Butter Sweet Rolls
- 3/4 cup bread flour 116 grams
- 1 cup flour 154 grams
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup butter 1/2 stick 57 grams
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup milk warm 83 grams
- 1 cup apple butter
Maple Cream Cheese Icing
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2 oz butter 1/2 stick
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- Combine flours and salt. In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, add milk and yeast. Add honey, eggs, and butter. Mix for 1 minute and add flour mix. Mix for 5-8 minutes. Dough should be elastic, and not sticky. Shape into a ball and place in a oiled bowl. Cover and proof for 1-1 1/2 hours or until doubled in size.
- Oil a countertop, hands and rolling pin. Roll the dough into a 10×15 inch rectangle. Spread the apple butter on the dough leaving a 1/2 inch border. Roll the dough into a log. Cut into 6 equal portions and place in a 8×8 baking pan. Cover and let rise for 45 minutes or doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake the rolls for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and cool before icing.
Maple Cream Cheese Icing
- Cream together the butter and cream cheese. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use.