Pumpkin cream cheese-filled gingerbread bundt cake.
This recipe is a molasses-y spiced cake wrapped around a slightly sweet pumpkin filling.
This cake is fairly simple to make and has a generous amount of filling. But like any bundt cake, the challenge lies with getting it cleanly out of the pan. To aid this, I use a well-greased Teflon-lined pan. I also make sure the filling doesn’t touch the pan, only the cake batter.
When adding the filling to the pan, you can use a spoon to create a trench in the batter. Spoon the filling into the trench and cover with the remaining batter. You can also spoon the batter around the filling to create a barrier. The filling will sink a little as it bakes but should remain surrounded by cake.
I kept the garnish simple with a light dusting of powdered sugar. If you prefer glaze on your bundt cake, here is a simple brown sugar glaze you can use. In a small saucepan, combine 1/4c butter, 1/2 c brown sugar, and 2 tbsp milk or cream. Bring to a simmer to dissolve the sugar. Set aside to cool before adding to the cake.
Gingerbread Bundt Cake
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 6 ounces pumpkin puree
- 1 egg
- 1/8 tsp vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp ginger
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- powdered sugar (optional) for garnish
- Beat the cream cheese until fluffy and smooth. Beat in the sugar. Then add the egg, pumpkin, vanilla, and salt. Mix until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a bundt pan and set aside. Mix the flour with the baking powder and soda and set aside. Cream the butter and the sugar together. Scrape the bowl and add the eggs one at a time. Mix in the vanilla and molasses. Add all of the spices and half the flour. Mix and scrape the bowl. Add half the buttermilk. Mix until combined. Repeat with the remaining flour and buttermilk. Pour half of the mixture into the prepared bundt pan. Spoon the pumpkin filling in the center of the cake batter. Top with the remaining batter.
- Bake the cake for 45-50 minutes. Allow the cake to cool completely before turning out onto a cake plate. If desired sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.